Welcome to the First United Methodist Church of Cape May Court House, New Jersey. We are just an ordinary group of people who have a keen awareness of the necessity of the Presence of God in church life that has driven our passion to pray and to “build the church in prayer”. This house of prayer is built for the Presence of God to dwell in – not visit or look at, but actually inhabit. Prayer invites the Holy Spirit to come and somehow keeps us from wandering into self-indulgent, irrelevant territory.
It is our prayer that you would come to love this little old church in your community: it is God’s hope for transformation of lives, the expression of His glory in the earth, and His chosen bride for the Son. We have been an ongoing, steady flame of His Presence, kept alive by the worship and prayer of believers since 1829. We started as a “house church”, and then our founding fathers built a one room building on Route 9 on the lot of our present day Fairview Cemetery. It was incorporated on April 25, 1829 as Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church. Twenty five years later they began to build our present day sanctuary in the Village of Cape May Court House, dedicated to the glory of God on February 11, 1855. Of course we’ve gone through many renovations and additions . . . but it was our late historian, Elaine Chase, who found the original prayer railing underneath the building. She had it reconditioned and to this day it is now in our present day sanctuary so that people can come in any day and kneel for prayer.
We are finding that the Presence of God just makes everything about a church work better! It causes seekers to thirst for Truth; it turns every small group into a spiritual oasis; it leads the body of Christ to fulfill their kingdom purposes. As the body of Christ, we desperately need the Presence of God. We are nothing without it.